Sunday, June 17, 2007

So very random

First.
Happy Father's Day to all you dads reading my blog.
I have been truly blessed to have close association with some of the best men on the planet.
My DH is outstandingly patient and hard working. He is such a great father to my children and such a supportive husband, I could not have picked a better man for me.
My father. The man who taught me the meaning of the phrase "unconditional love."
My Eternal Father, who loves me not in spite of myself, but because of myself.
My brother, long suffering and patient in a world of women.
My sons, what precious souls they are. My hope for them is they may follow in the footsteps of their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers.
Second.
I've been thinking about my mother, too. She is a most formidibale woman, and I could never hope to measure up to her in so many ways.
Iwas raised by a woman who:

Grew her own food and canned it in our kitchen.
Sewed school clothing for her four daughters all summer.
Made her own quilts.
Recovered the furniture ~ both by painting and reupholstering it.
Made Barbie doll clothes for me and my sisters and Care Bears and Cabbage Patch dolls for her grandchildren.
Designed the floor plan of our house and gathered rock from the quarry for the living room fireplace.
Hand folded the nut cups, and hand made topiaries for my sister’s wedding reception.
Sewed wedding dresses for all of us (except me … I’m the fourth daughter and she was getting tired.)


No wonder I feel inadquate most of the time.
She also remodeled her wedding dress to make a fancy dress when she was a young mother. I've been thinking about this since someone pointed out the "trash the dress" site.http://trashthedress.wordpress.com/ For some reason my blog won't let me post an active link.

Some of these photos are flat out spectacular! I wish I had thought of / had the nerve to do this when I was married.
I've been seeing advertisements for a new television show where designers go into people's closets and make new outfits from the clothes. I would feel nothing but sympathy for a designer trying to make something of my rags. But my wedding dress is in there, maybe they could do something with it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a cartoon I cut out of a magazine that I was going to post, unfortunately I don't know how to make the scanner work, it keeps asking for a disk and I don't have one. Anyway --- It shows a cow jumping over the moon, below in the barnyard the bull is saying to the calf. "Son, your mother is a remarkable woman." It reminds me of dad, who said much the same thing about Mom every chance he got. Dad had the great gift of unconditional love, we all felt it, I know about God's love for his children, because I know how my dad loved his children.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the photos. I'm going to pass the link on to my friend Brigitte who is a professionaly photographer. Perhaps she can add this to her list of photog services!

My husband calls me Noogie...? said...

I'm sure you know this but in case you don't...

I wore my mother in-laws dress when I got married and when my daughter was born the MIL asked my mom to make it into her blessing dress, and I turned my wedding earrings into a bracelet.