Saturday, August 27, 2005

Soccer Mom Season


Soccer Mom: A woman who sits on the sidelines hoping desperately that her child will (a) make the save, goal or kick and (b) not get wounded in the process.
I’ve been doing this soccer mom thing for about five years now, and while I have learned a few things about packing water, folding lawn chairs and a camera, I still have a lot to learn.
Like how not to yell “way to go pumpkin’!” At my strapping six-year-old son when he makes a kick. I also need to learn how not to get steaming mad at some other mother’s kid because the child tripped my baby.
But this year is shaping up to be particularly challenging. My 10 year old son has decided he doesn’t want to play soccer, which is okay, because he’s not all that athletic. But he is going to be a ref.
ACK!
There’s no question he has a soccer ref. personality. He loves to tell people what to do and he is a stickler for details. But he’s just a little boy (in mom’s eyes) and he’s going to have to stand up to emotional coaches and parents for every call he makes. He’s doing it for the $5 a game. But Mommy is scared for her baby.
My 6-year-old DS played his first game with a goalie this season and guess who was picked to be the goal for the second half of the game. That’s right, my punkin! He made two saves and decided he had found his niche in the soccer world. Meanwhile, mommy is having heart palpitations every time the ball gets within 10 feet of my baby.
So I’m looking for advice from anyone out there. How does a mom of boys just grin and bear it as the world comes down on her babies? I guess this is just another lesson I get to learn as a soccer mom.

1 comment:

karen said...

I have no good advice. I am the same way! Cute kiddos!