My firstborn son, Logan, turns 11 today. I’m afraid I’ve been a rather preoccupied mother. But in honor of his birthday I am listing 11 things I love about him.
1. He made me a mother when I had given up hope of ever having the privilege.
2. He was a beautiful baby and has grown to be a very handsome young man.
3. He is a good neighbor.* see related story.
4. He loves order. Even as a baby he loved scrubbing crayon marks off the walls. True, he sometimes marked the walls so he could scrub them, but that’s another story.
5. He is a great leader. This year he started working as a soccer ref. and he loves it, because it gives him a chance to enforce the rules. Logan is all about the rules.
6. He loves to learn. He is fascinated with science, and math, and how things work.
7. He loves to make things. One of my favorite creations was his “water fountains” he built in the swimming pool last year. He spent the better of a week building and refining it.
8. He loves nature. He loves to garden and watch things grow.
9. He has a gentle heart.
10. He is a good big brother. He does a great job of watching out for his little brother.
11. He makes me proud to be his mother.
* The other day the doorbell rang. I answered it to find my neighbor’s sister standing there. “I just had to come over and tell you what a great kid Logan is.” She said.
He had volunteered to go help them lay sod, while the teenaged-twins (a boy and a girl) and their friends just stood around watching.
This particular neighbor was widowed this spring in a very tragic way. (It’s a long story involving her husband’s drug addiction and spouse abuse.) She has been wheelchair bound for six years because she had a stroke when said husband was in jail for drug abuse. He also helped them put a roof on their house this summer.