Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Second hand clothes

View from my window. I don't know why, I just felt like including it in my post.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hand-me-downs, secondhand, thrift store finds, basement bargains and dumpster diving, it all just sounds so ~ shoddy.
I heard reports that some victims of hurricane Katrina are not necessarily thrilled to be given pre-owned clothing, furniture and appliances. I have mixed feelings about this.
As the fourth daughter in a frugal family, I have seen my share of hand-me-down clothes. In fact, the clothes were passed around so much people recognized us at a distance because they were familiar with the cloths; they just weren’t sure which one of us was wearing it.
I remember one Christmas my mother, who could sew just about anything, got her hands on an inexpensive bolt of flannel. We all got jimmies for Christmas. They were great the first year or so. Cute, white gowns with a cheery red (what is now a retro) pattern printed on them.
But by the time I had inherited my fourth gown, it was no longer white and red, no longer cheery. Frankly, it was ratty.
My mom also had no problem with deciding the set of drawers in one person’s bedroom would serve much better in another room. This was okay, I guess, when we were children. But after we left for college and / or jobs / married life it became more problematic. You never know when you are going to get a call from Mom with the “perfect’ couch to fit in that empty corner in your house. “You know the one, your brother had it, and I think all the cat urine smell will lift right out with a bit of scrubbing.”
I exaggerate, slightly.
But we were taught to use things until they were all gone. Every year we went through our clothing and anything that wasn’t too worn out or didn’t fit any of us was passed on to our local charity. It is a habit I still maintain.
It is an act of reckless courage for me to throw out a Glad container housing a three week old science experiment that was once leftover dinner.
But, with all our handing down, we did draw the line at secondhand socks and undies. I can understand why someone who has fled a beautiful ocean-side house might turn up their nose at the chance to wear someone else’s granny panties.
I guess my point is, hurricane Katrina has had me reassessing all kinds of things in my life.
1. Things don’t matter, people matter.
2. I need to get prepared should an emergency hit.
3. I need to be careful with what I buy, so I can spend my money on important things.
4. I need to take care of what I have.
5. I need to help others ~ but I don’t need to give them my trash.
6. I need to go clean all the leftovers out of my refrigerator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cat didn't pee on the coutch! The smell was from my over-boots.

Cindy Lee said...

I used to have a friend who bought all her "gifts" from Goodwill. Most especially if she thought a person was "in need". How sad for her. God tells us to "give" our BEST, not run-down, used up junk that we don't want anymore. I am a firm believer in "reaping and sowing". For example, years ago I had an opportunity to buy several new gorgeous gowns, a few days later a co-worker's house burned down - I was "tempted" to give her all my "old" gowns but knew in my heart that I was to give my "best" so I gave her all the new gowns with the tags still on them. I'm not bragging on myself I've just learned that to "get" or reap the best you must give or sow the best! In my humble opinion, regardless of the "class" of the Katrina victims they should all be pampered and loved on and given the best we have to offer, not treated like they are second class citizens who should be "thankful" for worn out, used junk!

Please DO NOT misunderstand me - I love hand-me-downs, share and trade clothes with friends and family, shop at Goodwill for myself, but it's MY choice - huge difference!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your thought process.