Friday, October 21, 2005

All is safely gathered in ...



I suppose I am something of a freak because I don't really get excited about fresh vegetables. But then I visit a farmers market and see lucious colors like this and the part of me that came from my home ec. teacher / art teacher mother starts getting warm and fuzzy thoughts about things like home-canned salsa.
I can't say my mother loved to can peaches, choak-cherry jelly and the like, but she did it. By autumn the basement was full of jars with small slices of summer carefully preserved.
I don't can fruit like she did.
For one thing, it costs a fortune to buy the equipment and you can buy commercially produced fruit for half of what it cost to can it yourself.
For another thing, I'm just plumb lazy. I have too many memories of my arms chapped and itching from helping peel peaches all day to volunteer for the job now that I am an adult.
But every now and then I get a whif of fresh peaches, or I see the artistry in a basket full of tomatoes and I think it would be nice if....
Naw.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a big fan of doing the canning either but love it when a friend sends a can of fresh fruit my way - especially love the rasberry preserves and the peaches!

Amy B. said...

I only can somethings. You can't make it worthwhile to buy fruit to can it. I do know ladies who do apple pie filling and I'm crazy because I do apple cider every year (with free apples. its not worth the work if I have to buy them! lol!)

I agree about the colors! I'm not a fan of eatting the stuff, but veggies are really so beautiful. loved the picture of your peppers.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm the same way. My dad did a ton of canning when I was a kid, he's a big gardener. I just never got into it. But those cans do sure look pretty up on the shelf :)