Thursday, October 27, 2005

Pomegranates 101


Someone asked about how one goes about eating pomegranates. If you are eating the dark red commercial pomegranates, I would suggest you either a) wear your old painting clothes or b) strip naked and shell the fruit in the bathtub as those suckers stain!
Crack the fruit open.
Inside you will find several segments filled with seeds and separated by a thin membrane. You want to eat the seeds, not the shell, the membrane or any other part of the fruit.
Hold the open fruit in your hand with the “open” seed side facing down. Use the other hand and a spoon to whack the back of the fruit. The seeds should spill out into your hand.
You might need to peel off membrane and repeat the whacking process several times before you are complete with the process.
Put the seeds in a bowl of water. Extra bits of membrane, shell and bad seeds will float to the top. Skim them off the water and empty the seeds in a strainer. Pat dry.
You can eat the seeds as it or put them in a Dixie Salad, a traditional fall dish served in Southern Utah.
Ingredients of Dixie salad are pomegranate seeds, apples, pecans, and whipped cream. Some people also use raisins, but since no one in our family likes raisin, we usually skip that part.
All of the ingredients are grown in southern Utah.
Slice the apples, chop the pecans, throw in the pomegranates and raisins and glue it all together with whipped cream.
My brother-in-law uses pomegranates in jelly. This does take a lot of pomegranates, and a lot of time. So I don’t do it.
Pomegranate juice is also used in grenadine. I’m sure some of you are familiar with the use of this ingredient in mixed drinks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.I never even knew what one looked like. Yikes, I alway thought they wer tiny little things :-) They do look pretty cool. Enjoy. Colleen

Anonymous said...

All I could think of was;

"Don't take me for Pomegranite!"

(sorry for that little outburst...smack me later)

Sherri said...

Very kewl photos throughout your blog! LOVE them. Never ate a pomegranite seed though.

Karen said...

"pomegranates 101" just in time! I was just going to e-mail you and ask how to open one up! I bought a nice pomegranite for a fruit tray I'm making.

Carrie Anne said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love pomegranates but can't ever figure out to eat them.

karen said...

Interesting! I have never tasted them. But, now I want to! The Dixi salad sounds yummy.