Monday, November 14, 2005

Evening shade



So much of wintertime is spent in darkness. As the nights grow longer I find myself wanting to hibernate, curl up in my house with a roaring fire and a good book, safe and warm.
When I lived in southern Utah the nights were long, but the days were sunny. I did not find myself slipping into torpor as I do here in northern Utah, or as I did in southern Wyoming where I spent my childhood.
I was talking to my sister last night about my natural inclination to be introverted. It becomes more pronounced in the fall and winter when I get the nesting, hibernating instinct.
I suppose this is one reason why we celebrate Christmas. It is an opportunity to think outside of ourselves. It is a chance to gather and be jolly. It is a celebration of joy in the face of deepening gloom.
The Photo a Day challenge is also forcing me to go outside. Last night I played around with my tripod and light. I took these photos on my deck just as dusk was falling. I wanted to go from a new perspective, from the outside looking in, as it were, instead of the usual from the inside looking out on fall.

12 comments:

Melissa Reid said...

I know what you mean... I'm like that during the winter too. Good idea to go outside to get some fall evening shots.

Anonymous said...

These look great! Especially like the deck picture and it's linear quality.

Sherri said...

Like the line on the deck photo. Great 'almost' dark picture.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I love your idea about taking them from the outside in.

Anonymous said...

I get the same exact way. Hmmm, maybe another reason to relish in the fact we are moving to Hawaii?

Cindy Lee said...

great shots! I always love reading your "thoughts"!

Janet O. said...

MAN, your photos are awesome!!

Melissa said...

great photos, love the deck photo with the light kissing it.

Benita said...

These pics are great! And I feel the same way about wanting to hybernate this time of year :)

Anne Magee said...

Love the journaling! I can relate! Great pics, too!

Anonymous said...

Winter does = hibernate, doesn't it??? LOL When I lived in Alaska it sure did. Great photo!

daphne said...

Beautiful, as always...love your journaling!