Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Random ramblings on winter



It is bitter cold outside. I was hoping to be able to take photographs of snow today, but I guess it is too cold to snow. My youngest son is complaining of a sore throat so he’s home with me today. I never know if he is really sick or not. Last week he said he had a stomach ache, but when I told him he had to stay in bed and not watch television, he had a miraculous recovery and was soon on his way to school.
But I tend to believe him about the sore throat, because I had a sore throat yesterday. I hate it when my kids are sick, and “half sick” isn’t much better, because they get bored and want me to entertain them all day, when I ~ as always ~ have plenty of things clamoring for my attention.
The good news is I managed to pay the bills and do the grocery shopping yesterday, so I don’t have to leave the house. But I was hoping to go on a little photographing walk later today.
Last night we bought turkey and took it to the local smokehouse to have the meat smoked. The results are delicious. While we were out, I noticed the moon flitting and out of the clouds and tried to take a photograph of it. I don’t know that I was very successful.
We plan to spend the holiday with the family in Wyoming. If everyone who plans to attend makes it over all the mountain passes we will have five families and more than 20 people in attendance. Ten of them will be children ages 13 and under. I can’t wait to take photographs of everyone.
Another fun tradition in my small home town in Wyoming is the Light Parade. Basically, everyone who has a working vehicle and any interest in advertising their business wraps it with Christmas lights and drives it down Main Street. The event happens at night, the better to see the whole effect, and it is usually either freezing, or snowing, or both.
Since we had no snow this morning, I am including another photo I took earlier this month of my range, with candles and my Tea Cattle. I love the colors black and white together. So this year when we needed to buy a new oven, I chose this sleek black one because I like the range top and the retro look of it.

13 comments:

Jane said...

Cool shots!!! My moon shots didn't turn out at all!! Love the stove shot, too!

Benita said...

Your candles are exactly what I need today! Great moon photo....love the way you can see the clouds around it.

Melissa said...

that tea 'cattle' is so cute,lol. awesome picture of the moon-great capture of the clouds surrounding it. :)

Anonymous said...

You got to see the elk statues fighting on top of the arch! That should be good for a few pics. Looking forward to the day oggie can be in the parade.

daphne said...

Looks like a lot of us tried to photograph the moon last night! I like yours a whole lot better than mine...I'm going to have to read up on the whole moon thing for next time. your "cattle" is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Awesome moon shot and those candles look so inviting right now~ TFS.

Briana said...

You photos are fab! I hear you about the sick thing and them wanted your attention all day. Augh! Hope everyone feels better - including you!

Celia said...

You've got some mad photography skills!!!

Lorrie said...

I had that same tea kettle! lol. Good picture!

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! That moon shot is amazing! Love the clouds!

Cindy Lee said...

whoa! very cool moon shot! nice stove!

Anonymous said...

Love the kettle! That's so fun. And the moon shot is great. I don't know if I'd have any luck trying to take a picture of the moon with our little camera. Hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

I love the little cow! So cute. You got a great shot of the moon. I love it in the clouds.