Monday, November 07, 2005

Save the boxes!


I believe my love of purdy paper came from my earliest excitement over brightly wrapped gifts, and a family tradition of wrapping gifts together.
I am one of five children, the fourth girl, followed by the one and only boy. My Mom is a perfectionist, an artist, and ultimately very practical.
Every year at Christmas she found herself surrounded by gifts needing to be wrapped and a house full of girls climbing the walls with excitement over the holidays.
So she started the Thanksgiving night of gift wrapping.
After we had eaten our fill of turkey, cleaned the kitchen and taken naps we were anxious for something to do. So she brought out our Christmas gifts, all packed in boxes labeled with a name on it, and had us start wrapping them.
I thought the process of wrapping gifts was sheer bliss. Sometimes I even got to pick out the paper and wrap my own present without even knowing what was inside.
We developed something of a system. The expensive foil paper was saved for the tiny gifts so it would go further. The unattractive paper was wrapped around big gifts, in hopes of getting rid of it quickly.
Mom taught us the proper gift wrapping corners. We did it correctly, or we ended up holding the paper while someone else did the taping. You can see this perfection on my scrapbook pages, even now.
You can see this pecking order for the prettiest scrapping paper, too. I horde the expensive, patterned paper for my “special” photos and use paper from Provo Craft Slab on my snapshot and events pages.
Another carry-over from the Christmas gift wrapping tradition is I never throw away a “good box.” Neither does anyone else in my family. Thus when we get a gift from my sister wrapped in a Schwan’s “bagel dog” box we know (a) it isn’t bagel dogs, and (b) I will be saving the box to send something to my brother in it next year.
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this tradition is seeing how a simple decision on my Mother’s part to expedite the chore of wrapping gifts has sent a ripple effect through my life.
Now, every year when the family gets together for Thanksgiving someone brings a craft we can do together. One year my niece introduced us all to soap making. I loved it, and everyone in my circle of friends received hand-made soap for the holidays that year.
Another year my school teacher husband showed the children how to “mummify Barbie dolls.” It was an odd craft, but the kids loved it.
We have learned origami, painted Christmas tree ornaments, and made picture books for a church humanitarian project.
Since I have decided to add a line about gratitude each day in my November blog, today I am grateful for my family tradition of gathering together to make something beautiful. This tradition has enriched my life beyond all understanding.

15 comments:

Karen said...

I enjoy the 'wrapping' part of the holidays (and the thanksgiving arts and craft evening)too! Mom saves presents for me to wrap when I arrive home for the holidays. We are a crafty family, no doubt about it!

Anonymous said...

I love this. I love the way you wrap and I love reading about how the process evolved. What a fun and fabulous childhood memory. COOL!

I'm laughing about hoarding the good stuff for the good photos. I don't know if I do that or not, I'm going to have to pay more attention. You do have a point though!

T. said...

Love this picture! It takes me back to my childhood wrapping traditions too. Thanks for sharing your traditions.

Julie Ann Shahin said...

Excellent journaling!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the bagle dog box. DW can't quite get the hang of the wrapping thing. Newspaper works well for the nontraditionalist in me.

daphne said...

beautiful photo and amazing tradition...this photo, along with your excellent journaling is screaming "scrap me"! it would make one awesome layout! thanks for sharing your tradition...I loved reading it!

Anonymous said...

Love the writing...you must scrap this! Cool :)
I'm the designated family wrapper...I think I'll take a shot like this when I finally buy my paper this year.

Sherri said...

I am a wrapping perfectionist too! LOL I've even taught my daughter how to wrap a package 'correctly'. I love your story behind this photo. Wonderful read.

Anonymous said...

Love your journalling! Love the shot of the wrapping paper and pretty stuff. It's all perfect. *sigh* Is it really almost that time of year again?!

Cindy Lee said...

I love wrapping gifts! your blog entry was wonderful love hearing about other's family traditions!

Anonymous said...

I love this story about wrapping presents. When I was little I wanted to grow up and own my own gift wrap store, that would also sell stationery and books. Hee hee, all the markers for future scrapbookers... Anyway. That was a cool story, and a tradition I like a lot. If only my shopping was done by Thanksgiving!

karen said...

love the story behind the picture...as usual!

Anonymous said...

Ditto the whole thing. I love paper and boxes too, so it must be true. I never traced it's origins though. I remember opening the boxes and peeking inside, then carefully rewrapping using the original folds and placing the tape ever so carefully on the same places. what a little sneak I was.

Anonymous said...

Alleen, what a great analogy of your gift wrap to your scrapping paper. This IS a wonderful entry! The gift wrap shot is NOT helping me in my attempt of self-control! Great shot! And now, I'm anxious to hear what your craft will be this year?! Have a great day!

Stacy said...

I got totally side tracked today by your blog and went down to check out some of the earlier posts I might have missed and loved this entry. What a great idea to have something to do AFTER dinner! Love the wrapping paper photo too!