Thursday, November 17, 2005

One subject, three shots




Last night while my 11-year-old was making a magnet from a battery for a school project I played around with angles. I wasn’t really happy with the first two, but the last one, yes! I knew I had it as I snapped it. Is anyone else having this kind of “eureka” experience with their photography lately?
The experiment is just a further example of this child’s fascination with all things scientific. In this way he reminds me of my little brother. When he was about this age he started building rockets and shooting them off in the backyard. His room was littered with copper wire, and toilet paper rolls and other unidentifiable objects of rocket construction.
-------------
I spent most of the day yesterday interviewing and writing a story for my newspaper about scrapbooking. It was a really odd experience because I knew more about the subject than most of the people I interviewed. The paper used some of my layouts and layouts of a dear friend of mine (who I also interviewed) as art for the page. So in a sense you could say I’ve now officially published my layouts, but in a rather odd way.
I don’t know which layouts they picked. I directed them to my gallery in twopeasinabucket.com and told them to pick what they wanted, with the exception of the “Driving Gloves” layout I made for a friend for her Christmas present. I didn’t want her to see it in the newspaper before she received the gift.
Tomorrow I’ll post a link to the page and story for anyone who is interested.

16 comments:

Julie Ann Shahin said...

Congrats on getting published. That's a cool photo (the last one) and it's funny because my favorite of the three is the first one because of the unexpected angle.

Lorrie said...

cool pictures. I like the different angles of the same topic!

Benita said...

I like all 3 pictures.....great lighting & shots! Congrats on the scrapping story.

Melissa Reid said...

Nice work with the pictures... Eurika is right!!!!

Anonymous said...

how cool! can't wait to read the article. And yes! the last picture is definitely the best. I feel like today was a Eureka moment for me too!

Anonymous said...

Love the first shot. Great angle - plus the action with his hands!

Spot-On said...

yes many eureka moments! Esp on the circles day photo! Just getting into different positions, seeing the subject a different way.
Great photo! I agree the 3rd one rocks!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being published - that's so cool! Yup, having a few Eurika moments myself. So much to learn and this is a great way to do it!

Anonymous said...

great shots! I love the angles!

daphne said...

yep, you definitely nailed it with that last photo! it's my favorite of the three too. congrats on your newspaper article...I'd love to read it!

Anonymous said...

Still shooting off rockets. I just got done teaching a after-school class on science and part of it was shooting a rockets off. I think the kids liked it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your upcoming article-can't wait to read it here! Yes, I am having those same "eureka" moments now that I am doing the POD. Just another one of the reasons I am enjoying it so much! I also love the last shot-great angle and he looks so mesmerized by that battery. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, how exciting! I cannot wait to see your newspaper article! :D :D :D

And yes, your last photo of your son is a great one. I liked the first two, but the one with the actual battery really captured the message you went on to communicate in the journalling. He sounds like a real smart guy!

Anonymous said...

Very cool, congrats on the story. Great shots. Love pictures at angles like that.

Stacy said...

I love that last photo . . . it is great! I am going to try to play with angles too . . . .thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Wow...especially like the last shot.