Friday, November 18, 2005

Time to trim the town tree


Adam is home sick again. Apparently he really IS sick. He had a fever, and, as he tells anyone who will listen to him “I had a rough night.” Apparently he’s quoting Daddy.
So, I am posting a photo from earlier this week that I saved for just this type of occasion.
Workers in our little town are putting together the Christmas tree in the town square. I don’t know that the photo is technically interesting, but it does tell the story of small town America and the quest to combine “It’s a Wonderful Life,” with “Greed,” into a seamless whole.
Although we are fairly isolated in a spot nestled against a mountain, our town is about 45 minutes from a major metropolitan area. If you want to do any serious shopping, you usually take I-80 and head for the city.
This does not please business owners in our community, who are trying to make a living against an increasingly competitive market.
Their answer is a quest to make our town a Norman Rockwell painting come to life. Setting up the Christmas tree in time for a Thanksgiving lighting ceremony is crucial for this goal.
So this week city crews have been putting the finishing touches on the Memorial Park (pictures about that tomorrow) and building the tree to set the stage for shopping.

The story I wrote about scrapbooking is not up on the web yet, and I’m not sure I even know how to post a link, but here’s the address Tooeletranscript.com. Most of the pages they picked were from the Tia free range dare challenges.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that shot...Christmas seems as though it comes earlier and earlier every year!

Amy B. said...

I like that shot too. I understand about the struggles of small town america. our town has been struggling with that one for decades and has given up. no tree, and sad decorations. it's kind of sad to see.

Anonymous said...

Cool shot. Like the perspective, and I just can't believe the holidays are upon us.

By the way...thanks so much for starting this challenge...it has been so much fun, and a great learning process!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I love the shot of the Christmas tree in progress. Cool perspective and definitely a very timely shot.

I hope your ds is feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

great picture and perspective!

Unknown said...

Wow they make the tree !! Love the angle of the picture :)

Anonymous said...

I love seeing holiday decorations going up. Love the perspective on yours.

Hope Adam is feeling better soon.

Tara said...

Wow! That is an awesome photo!

Anonymous said...

That's a cool "in progress" pic!

Sheila said...

Great "action" shot!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh poor little guy! The "rough night" comment cracked me up. Kids are so funny!

AWESOME picture of the tree.

Melissa said...

great shot!-only 37 more days until christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome shot! And what a great story, sometimes I wish I lived in a smaller town.