Sunday, March 11, 2007

The week of the woman

It just occurred to me that this has been “The Week of the Woman” for me. It started with my teaching in Relief Society last Sunday.
Then I was invited to a Ya-Ya birthday party on Wednesday, I visited with Kendra and hung out in the kitchen during the RS birthday party dinner on Thursday and Saturday I attended a baby shower for another woman at our church. She has been teaching the boys piano. Alas, she is going to be moving to a town one hour away soon.
I gave her a picture frame and a photo shoot. I had plans for her to come by yesterday with her new baby so I could shoot him, but she canceled on me. I’m not sure when I’ll get the photographing done.
With this week of the woman I am reminded of how isolated I usually am from the general public. I work from home and I don’t go to a lot of evening activities because DH works so much and I need to be home with the boys if I’m not attending a meeting. No wonder I’m feeling a little edgy. The only women I communicate with on a regular basis are cyber friends, either family members reading the blog or scrappers on or two message boards.
I’m not exactly sure how to change this, but it does require some closer examination.
I am also spending the weekend helping two boys with science fair projects.
This is one of those times when I am very happy to be married to an elementary school teacher. I talked to him about it Friday night and Saturday morning he went to his school and brought back two ab fab ideas for projects.
DS-8 is experimenting with mirrors while DS-12 is crunching numbers with cost analysis of fruit with and without the skins.
My job is to take photos and offer computer support.
The project is due on Tuesday. I am supposed to have a feature story written and on the computer of my lifestyle editor on Monday morning. It’s 11:22 a.m. on Sunday and I haven’t a clue what I am going to give her in the way of a story. The three hour block of church starts at 1 p.m. I suppose I should be in a full boar panic, but I’m not. I’m rather past the whole panic thing anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog. It reminds me of how growing old has a few advantages. One is the ability to choose what we will do with our time without feeling quite so much guilt.
On the Mary/Martha thing I am listening to a talk by Dallin Oaks about judging others righteously. He quotes a bible scholar who says that Jesus did not judge her until she asked him to send Mary in to do her share. Thus she was judging Mary and opened herself to Christ's judgement. He had no problem with the way she chose to serve until she became self-righteous about it. It sort of changes the tone of the conversation. I completely understand the need to be around other women once in awhile to regroup and get perspective. I need to do it, but I also need to get away from it occasionally. I have to say it is sometimes a positive pleasure to get away from the women I work with and I can honestly say I love them and respect them, I just need space. It seems we just need balance. Too much of anything is wearing.

Anonymous said...

Only the hard of harding/deaf will understand what I am talking about when I say no matter what I do or how hard I try to be in a conversation I still feel very lonely. I love this ward I am in, I feel for the first time in my life that I belong somewhere. Yet, I still cannot fully participate in anything. I cannot tie a quilt and carry on a conversation at the same time like most women do, as it is impossible to lip read while I have a needle in my hand tying the quilt. So, my choices are: talk or quilt but not both. So, it is easier for me to be in the kitchen than to linger among the women. I don't get much out of the conversations anyway. I now do whatever I feel comfortable doing and hang the guilt!

Enjoy the children while they are young, for when they get older, that is when you start to get gray hairs!