Saturday, March 31, 2007

When the family gets together


I started my first day of vacation napping, cleaning the bathroom and attending a hockey game with DH’s family. Today I expect I will try to recover from the excitement of yesterday.
The napping and cleaning was uneventful, albeit desperately needed. The hockey has become a family tradition.
DH is one of 10 children. The hockey game started when his sister in southern Utah was given the opportunity to buy cut-rate tickets to the Utah Grizzly hockey game. She and a few of the brothers decided it might be a fun outing, bought some tickets and camped in our basement for the weekend.
Somewhere along the line a brother from Idaho and his children, as well as the southern Utah married children started buying tickets. Now there are 40 tickets sold to DH’s sister and family.
Since the family rarely gets together, (and they are not all in attendance at the hockey game) it is as close as they get to a family reunion of any kind. Eight of the 10 children were there and one of the “missing” was represented by his son, daughter in law and two grandsons.
After the game we went out to eat at the local Chili’s, but not all of us made it to the restaurant. One of the Idaho cousins tripped over a downed street sign while walking back to the restaurant and ended up cutting her leg. Her father took her to get nine stitches put into the gash.
Still, the poor waitress had more than 20 people at the tables with 4-6 separate checks. She handled it very well.
We didn’t get home until after midnight, and I slept in until almost 10 a.m. today. Such luxury!
Truth to tell, going to a hockey game is not my favorite thing to do. I don’t understand the rules, I’m not particularly comfortable in the stadium seats, and I hate crowds.
But it was fun to get the family together, re-acquaint ourselves with the crowd and meet the newest cousins. The setting doesn’t allow for a lot of interchange between families, we sit and watch a game, then we sit and eat.
Today DH and the boys will be meeting some members of the family for other activities. I’m not sure what they will be doing, but I’m not going. I have plenty to do at home, and I suspect he’ll have a better time without me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Hocky game is not my idea of a family reunion, but it does open some opportunities to make up some clever metaphores. (You can fill in your own here.) We are looking foreward to the Sorenson/Bowling version of a family reuntion the Easter get together. I even scrubbed my floor today. Don't pass out, even I have a standard, it is exceedingly low, but a standard none-the-less.
Anyway, hope you had a good time, and DH did too. The kids look like they enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

What reunion are you talking about? I have attended Stott reunions and I do not look forward to them!

SageHen said...

I don't know of any family reunions on our side of the family. I think we decided we are best in small doses.