Saturday, February 03, 2007

Visions of pedicures

Everything today took longer than I expected it to take.
The first event was the baptism of my friend’s son, Kohen. I served with her in the Primary Presidency (the organization for LDS children ages 3-11) a few years ago. She was the president and I was the second counselor.
Our boys are three weeks apart in age and were in kindergarten together. My DS-8 loves Kohen, and has been very sad since his family moved to another town about an hour’s drive from here.
Kohen’s baptism was a huge event because his father is not a member of the LDS church, so the stake let them schedule their own service separate from the monthly mass baptisms usually arranged for 8 year olds.
Kohen was baptized with his friend Jamen, the son of Kohen’s best friend. The boys were born three days apart, and both are adopted.
Since Kohen’s father is not a member of the LDS church, and is very active in his church, it was a little touch and go as to rather or not he would allow Kohen to be baptized, but he very graciously agreed to the ordinance after talking to Kohen and the religious leaders of the LDS Church.
He, (Kohen’s father) sang “How Great Thou Art,” gave a talk, and gave the closing prayer during the event. He also held Kohen in his lap when the boy was confirmed. I really enjoyed that part of the program.
But the grandmothers talked, and talked, and talked ~ each took about 20 minutes. So the whole event ended up taking 90 minutes or more.
It started at 11 a.m. and I had a work interview about 15 miles away at 1 p.m. I was starting to get a little antsy toward the end of the program.
DH also had to go to work today at 2 p.m., so the kids have kind of been on their own all afternoon. They seem to have survived, but DS-8 is a little touchy right now. My interview was a business story with a new spa / bed and breakfast opening in Stansbury Park.
It was so beautiful in the facility. The rooms were gorgeous. I suspect if I had been left to my own devices I would have climbed into one of the huge four-poster beds and snoozed away the afternoon.
The last massage I had came from the cat, and while she does a good job of kneading, the claws take a lot of the relaxation out of the whole process.
After showing me around the facility, the owner and I sat down in comfy chairs and chatted. His wife brought me fresh fruit and chocolate and we chatted much longer than I had originally intended.
The business is owned by one of the Stansbury Park service agency board of trustees. The board of trustees is as close as Stansbury Park has to a governing agency, and since I cover the community, I attend their meetings twice a month.
I don’t suppose I will use half of the information in my story, but I did learn a lot about the guy, and as he is in the process of gathering names on a petition for a township movement, I expect I will be working with him a lot in the future.
I came home and crawled into my bed. I think I’m coming down with something. I’m feeling dizzy and weak, I’m coughing and my throat is starting to do the pre-sore itch that never bodes well.
But as soon as I was under the covers DS-8 joined me, putting his icy feet on my legs and whining because the cat kept clawing him.
Thoughts of those comfortable looking four poster beds, claw-footed tubs and fireplaces danced in my head. But alas, that is not my life.
Maybe someday …


kSTEVENSfam said...

ZICAM BABY!! It works wonders. When I first started taking it (last year)I would have to take it for a few days but my cold never lasted more than 2 or 3 days. It must build up in your system 'cuz now when I wake up with that "I think I'm getting a cold" sore throat I take Zicam for the day and I never get a cold. I haven't had one all year!! Thats saying A LOT considering my profession!

I also spent more time than expected at baptisms today. I got to the stake center about 4:15 to set up chairs and fill the font, then Kerry arrived at 5 to be a spanish speaking witness at a convert baptism. They had refreshments afterwards, and usually we just leave and tell them "We have locked the door so please clean up after yourselves and you won't be able to get back in." But since Kerry was there I stayed and enjoyed the festivities. We got home at a quarter to 7!

Wyo sis said...

Sadly, unless you organize your life better than I have mine, dreaming in a perfectly made four poster bed and having a massage will not be your life later either. I agree with Lisa, Zicam works wonders. I gave it to Ashlee last time I got sick and she was fine. I'm not sure how effective it is when you have asthma or allergies though. How are the two DS's? Have you or your doctors given any thought to the termite dust etc. you all underwent last summer?

pudding for brains said...

Oh..good story about RUDY!! That is too cool. Also. I am sure that you saw Danica there, because Jamen is her cousin. She was planning on being there.
Zicam is good. I think that I need some more. I feel like crap.
I'm pretty sure that an hour ago, when I wiped my nose, it fell off. too bad it didn't stop the dripping.
I want to stay at the retreat! I think that it looks FANTASTIC! Maybe a vantines day surprise, if I can get rid of this eear infection by then!