Plans to go to Provo and take my sister out for a birthday lunch have been sidelined because DH woke up this morning with pink eye. Now we are going to make a trip to the doctor instead.
But the good news is I managed to make some impressive changes in my scrap room. I inherited a large paper cabinet from a friend, who bought it at a yard sale. I think it was originally in a school or office.
I was thrilled to have it, but there were a few problems that made it inconvenient. For one thing, it was designed for 81/2 X 11 inch paper, and I buy paper in 12 X 12 sheets. Shortly after the cabinet took up residence in my house, I filled up all the slots with magazines, paper and scraps given to me by a friend who works in a printer supply company. The problem is, I have long outgrown this paper because I don’t like the colors and it is not acid free.
Second, several of the shelves had shaken loose, and in order to replace them I needed to take the back off the unit.
I could have passed the cabinet on to my school teacher husband, but the cat used it as a perch and a gateway to the basement window, her favorite way to get in and out of the house.
Yesterday, I decided things had to change. I had nothing to lose because the cabinet was essentially useless in its current state. Besides, I wouldn’t be out any money if I destroyed it. The loss of the cat perch would make her unhappy, but oh well!
After hours of sorting and tossing paper, prying out nails with a screwdriver, and using vice grips to get some of the shelves out of the cabinet, I was done.
I chortled to myself with glee as I hammered the nails back into the cabinet, telling my DS-11, who was hanging around helping me “your mommy is amazing.”
You can see the final results in this photo.
Now, I need to figure out a way to change the color of the photo boxes. I tried covering one last night with paper (it is a scrap room, after all!) But I had to piece the paper to get enough of it to cover one box.
I’m now considering buying a large selection of paper, using wrapping paper, spray painting them all a uniform color or (gasp!) trying my hand with Contact Paper.
Suggestions would be welcome.