Friday, October 06, 2006

Too many Thinks

Last night my DS-L accused me of being unorganized and forgetful. He claimed if he were not in the family, there would be no schedule of any kind.
I pointed out that were it not for me he would not get up in time to go to school, eat supper, have clean clothing (most of the time) have a set bedtime, shower schedule, etc.
But, he said, you always forget things.
Guilty. The most flagrant case of forgetting last month was spacing off a dentist appointment. I thought it was Sept. 28 and had in the back of my head that the dentist office would call me the day before to verify the time.
Alas, the appointment was Sept. 26. If they did call me, they missed me because I was off running errands, or interviewing people or who knows what.
But, Sept, 28 would not have been good for me either ~ I was busy writing two stories for the 10:30 a.m. deadline. I also forgot to deliver two dozen rolls to a funeral that day. My bad. I clearly am losing my mind.
Determined to get all my “to do” list today, I wrote everything down.
Haircut.
Pick up book about the Metaphor Tree (a research tool for a story I need to write by Monday at noon) from the newspaper.
Check in with LSS about make-and-take obligations tomorrow.
Shopping for: Toilet paper, butter, garbage bags, eggs, Kool-Aid (for make and takes), rubber erasers (for my stamp cutting experiments) etc.
It was pouring rain, but I managed to get everything on the list (plus some extras)
As I unloaded everything from the shopping cart to the car I realized I had forgotten to buy floor cleaner.
After driving home, I walked onto the back deck with an armload of groceries and realized I neglected to purchase clear spray lacquer for my chair painting project.
It occurs to me that I am not forgetful (although I am) as much as I am trying to do way too many things at once.
O crap, I hope I don’t have to teach in church Sunday. I better go make a phone call. But I need to pay the bills, and I need to get everything ready for the make-and-takes tomorrow, and the boys will be home and I haven’t done the breakfast dishes yet and ….

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. In theory what you forget is not that important. In fact the more important a thing is the more grief you will get for forgetting it, but you can forget anyway. I once promised to make 3 texas sheet cake size pans of brownies for a wedding I even made the brownies and put them in the freezer and totally forgot to go to the reception with them. I am still friends with the gal I stiffed, but it was uncomfortable for awhile, plus I had 90 brownies to get rid of.

Big Sis said...

I know what you mean. I once let the dog out. I then did the chores{I can't remember what I was doing spacifically] I then remembered I had to let the dog in, so I went to let her in when I saw her looking at me as she was laying on the floor in the living room. I still, to this day don't know if I forgot I brougt her in or if I forgot to take her out in the first place.

Big Sis said...

Look up my blog at 2jungleoutthere.com