Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Kitschy clutter in the snow

It was snowing again this morning. The big, fat snowflakes that would normally make me all excited for Christmas came sifting down on a quiet world. There’s only one problem.
It’s March!
I’m not talking the in like a lion first part of March, either, but the smack-dab in the middle Ides of March.
I’m sure my Wyoming family members will tell me I’ve been spoiled by all my years in southern Utah. They are probably true. But I was lulled into a false sense of spring in February. Now it’s snowing to beat the band and the daffodils are sending up leaves as if they expect to be blooming soon.
I’m getting rather bored with taking snow photos. But today when I went to the vet to pick up cat food, I discovered a treasure trove of inspiration in the business next door to the veterinarian’s office.
In one word, this business is “funky.”
It was one of the first things I noticed when first drove into town checking out the possibility of living here. Frankly, it was one of the things that sold me on the place. Any town that has this eccentric building on its main street is a town with people who understand me.
I have no idea what is behind the doors of the peculiar building, but the yard is crammed with an odd assortment of novelties one might put in their yard, if they had very little taste, a keen sense of humor or both.
I, or course, have both.
I love the place.
But I have never actually shopped there, I’m not really sure why.
In the summer the business hangs plants and rugs depicting the Virgin Mary and Elvis on racks in front of the store to attract visitors. I’m not sure if they close for the winter, but the assortment of baubles remain in the yard proving by their very existence that they are well suited for the heat and cold of Utah weather.
Today, after the snowstorm, the sun came out and the sky turned a brilliant blue. This kitschy clutter covered in snow was more than I could resist.
But I didn’t get a lot of close up photos because I took all of them from over the fence. I was afraid the owner might chase me off with a garden stake if she/he didn’t want me to be there.
I’m planning to post a few photos a day from this place until I get something better.

12 comments:

Lani said...

WOW really! what amazing pictures! I want your talent! great great awesome job at those pictures! :)

Melissa Reid said...

Love your baubbles in the snow! It's right up my alley. Can't wait to see more!

Susan said...

You know, Alleen, the more pictures you take of Utah, the more it makes me want to live there! :o)

Hatter J said...

I second Susan,

but you have to make it stop snowing permanently first!!!

Melissa said...

how fun is that store?! love your pictures :)

Lisa said...

very interesting indeed! do you recall the Dr. Suess book called Go Dog Go? where the girl dog tries all these different hats throughout the book? and finally at the end of the book, she's wearing a totally funky hat with about 50 things all attached and dangling? well, my imagination pictures the person inside of this business wearing a hat like that! what a warped brain i have! lol! i'm looking forward to seeing more photos of this place.

Unknown said...

Awesome pics missy!
Thanks for the note today as well, meant a lot!
I am with ya on the snow, it is time for SPRING!
After this next set of storms, maybe it will all be done :)
B-

Pi-day Dave said...

I hate to be bearer of bad news, but Go Dogs Go isn't a Dr. Suess book. I know, I know, I'm being picky but that's what teachers do.

Anonymous said...

I guess small towns must encourage the sort of eccentric display you show. We have Smith's Seconds, just as full of junk, much less picturesque. I WANT an Elvis rug. I have just the place for it. Under the cat box. I have nothing personal against Elvis, he just personifies redneck tastlessness to me. I look foreward to your blog each day. It always surprises and sometimes puzzles me.

Anonymous said...

Great shot, I love it (no cc!), TFS, Meg

Anonymous said...

Your pix are remarkable! It's snowing right now as I look out the window and me, the winter guru, is even ready for some COLOR! I took some beautiful pix and am having technical difficulties, so I'm glad that you are documenting our wondermous "sprinter" in pictures! Happy Green Day!

Sophia

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!!! Kendra here! Remember the small white wire wheelbarrow on my front porch? Well, that is where I got it! I loved that thing..... Miss you more than chocolate!
All my love,
Kendra